Saturday, August 13, 2011

Remembering...

When I view this doorway I remember how my mother would step out and walk to the swing and spend long stretches of time sitting and reading. She is confined to a wheelchair and no longer takes an interest in reading. Her life at the nursing care facility is a small world indeed. I cherish my visits with her because one day I may not be able to call on her there. Today I mentioned I would be away for a few days due to a short trip with college friends. She told me to have a good time and that she would be okay. My prayer is that she will be okay and that our trip will be safe, relaxing, and memorable. With a heavy heart I know my mother's memories are shrinking. I am blessed she continues to know me. To lose your precious memories to Alzheimer's would be devastating. However, a soft-spoken female doctor at our last trip to the emergency room spoke kindly to me and said, "You are suffering because you remember how your mother used to be, but she is not suffering. She is content in her world."  

  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...